Preparing for Pets
If you are like millions of animal owners nationwide, your pet is an important member of your household. Unfortunately, animals are also affected by disaster.
Some of the things you can do to prepare for the unexpected, such as assembling an animal emergency supply kit and developing a pet care buddy system, are the same for any emergency. Whether you decide to stay put in an emergency or evacuate to a safer location, you will need to make plans in advance for your pets. Keep in mind that what's best for you is typically what's best for your animals.
Our partners at the Federal Emergency Management Agency have developed several resources to help you care for your animals and prepare for a disaster.
- Pet Kit (PDF)
- Pet Preparedness (2 Weeks Ready) (PDF)
- Pet Disaster Preparedness Kit (CDC)
- Pet Disaster Preparedness Kit (CDC) – Spanish
- Saving the Whole Family (AVMA)
- Special Consideration for Birds, Reptiles, and Small Animals (ASPCA)
- Plan for Farm Animals (The Humane Society)
- Plan for Horses (The Humane Society)
- Pet Preparedness Tips (PDF)