How to Contact the Washington Military Department
We want to connect with you!
To reach an employee of the Washington Military Department, please call: (253) 512-8000
TTY Accessibility Number (253) 512-7298 (For deaf & hard of hearing and for persons with speech impairments only)
Our main phone number is answered by an automated attendant system which provides menu choices to route your call to the appropriate office. Our offices are closed on state and federal holidays. A few offices are open Monday to Friday, but most offices are open Tuesday to Friday.
You can also search our directories for individual phone numbers: Phone Directory by Department (PDF)
Information and contacts for EMD staff also available at this link.
Information, address and contacts for Youth Academy staff also available at this link.
Members of the media wishing to speak with someone about the Washington Military Department, please call the department’s Communications Director Karina Shagren at (253) 512-8222 or by email to Karina.Shagren@mil.wa.gov.
Community Events Support / Speaker Requests:
Want the Washington National Guard to be a part of your event?Download form here and return to Joseph Siemandel, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 253-512-8989. DUE TO VOLUME, we are requiring requests to be submitted no less than 90 days prior to event.
Please use the following form to request a Washington Emergency Management Division representative at an outreach event, presentation, booth, fair or other activity.
Please direct requests for employment verification to the appropriate contact information below:
- For Washington Military Department State Employee Employment/Wage Verifications, please scan/email requests to the following:
MIL DL Finance Payroll MILDLFinancePayroll@mil.wa.gov
*Social Security Numbers and Account numbers should NOT be included. Please do NOT fax us for state Employee Employment/Wage Verifications.
- For Washington National Guard federal technicians or active guard reserve, call 1-800-367-5690 and provide code #01365.
- For traditional members of the WA Army National Guard, call (253) 512-8989.
- For traditional members of the WA Air National Guard, call (253) 512-3354.
Fax: (253) 512-8497
Please include a fax cover sheet on all faxes.
1 Militia Drive
Camp Murray, WA
Attn: < insert title or name of intended recipient >
To request records under the Washington State Public Records Act (PRA), please call (253) 512-8110 or visit http://mil.wa.gov/about-us/public-record-disclosure
To request records under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), please call (253) 512-8262 or visit /national-guard/freedom-of-information-act.
To request WA National Guard service and discharge records under the Privacy Act, please contact the appropriate component below:
- WA Army National Guard (Discharge date 2004 to present) – Access U.S. Army Human Resources Command at https://www.hrcapps.army.mil/portal/. Login with your CAC or user name and password (If you do not have either you will need to register for a username and password at the bottom of the page).
- WA Army National Guard (Discharge date 2004 and prior) – Request records from State Archives by sending a completed, signed Standard Form 180 (Request Pertaining to Military Records) to EABranchArchives@sos.wa.gov or (509) 235-7505 (fax). Washington Secretary of State Archives Branch can be reached by phone at (509) 235-7508.
- WA Air National Guard – contact Air Reserves Personnel Center at 1 (800) 525-0102, or the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration at 1 (866) 272-6272. Some service and discharge records prior to 2004 may also be requested from Washington Secretary of State Archives Branch listed above.
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs should direct record and service verification requests to the J9 Warrior Transition Unit, Building 3, Camp Murray, WA 98430, fax: (253) 512-7543, phone: (253) 512-8722.