Public Records Disclosure
The Public Records Act RCW 42.56 requires that identifiable public records be made available promptly to members of the public for inspection and copying upon request. The Public Records Act is a strong mandate for public disclosure and its exemptions should be narrowly construed.
To make a request for public records regarding Emergency Management, Contract Documents, or other agency-specific records and for a list of FAQs:
Please visit our new Public Records Request Portal via Public Records Center
If you have any questions or need assistance using our portal, you may contact the Public Records Officer at:
Military Department Public Records Officer
Camp Murray, WA 98430
Phone: (253) 512-8110
Email: WA Military Department Public Records Officer
The following fee schedule applies:
- Fifteen cents per page for photocopies of public records, printed copies of electronic public records when requested by the person requesting records, or for the use of agency equipment to photocopy public records;
- Ten cents per page for public records scanned into an electronic format or for the use of agency equipment to scan the records;
- Five cents per each four electronic files or attachment uploaded to email, cloud-based data storage service, or other means of electronic delivery; and
- Ten cents per gigabyte for the transmission of public records in an electronic format or for the use of agency equipment to send the records electronically. The agency shall take reasonable steps to provide the records in the most efficient manner available to the agency in its normal operations.
To make a request for public records regarding National Guard service and discharge records:
Please see the linked Contact Us page for contact information to direct the following types of requests:
- Requests for Washington National Guard service records under the Privacy Act.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs service verification and record requests.
- Employment verification requests.
- Requests under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).