Resilient Washington Subcabinet
“Resilience is the capacity of individuals, communities and systems to survive, adapt, and grow in the face of stress and shocks, and even transform when conditions require it. Building resilience is about making people, communities and systems better prepared to withstand catastrophic events — both natural and manmade — and able to bounce back more quickly and emerge stronger from these shocks and stresses.” — Rockefeller Foundation
The Resilient Washington Subcabinet was convened in January of 2017 to help our state better prepare for natural disasters, including earthquakes, tsunamis, wildfires, drought, storms and flooding.
“Protecting the public health, safety and welfare of the people of the state of Washington is my highest priority and one of the primary functions of state government,” writes Gov. Jay Inslee in his directive to convene the subcabinet. “… We know that only by coordinating all of our federal, state, county, local and tribal government resources can we achieve our common objectives.”
The subcabinet has been directed to:
- Identify data and information gaps that hinder preparedness and response plans
- Identify data and information to help guide a strategic public education campaign centered on personal preparedness.
- Develop potential actions that can be coordinated across state agencies, local jurisdictions and federal partners to reduce risk and improve response in the event of an earthquake or tsunami.
- Identify, prioritize and estimate costs for state actions that will improve public safety and earthquake preparedness and response.
Separate agencies were also given specific directions by the governor. More information can be found in the governor’s Nov. 4, 2016 letter.
- Washington Military Department
- Major General Bret Daugherty
- Office of the Governor
- Chief of Staff David Postman
- Washington Department of Transportation
- Roger Millar
- Washington Department of Enterprise Services
- Chris Liu
- Washington Department of Commerce
- Brian Bonlender
- Washington Department of Health
- John Wiesman
- Utilities and Transportation Commission
- David Danner
- Washington Department of Social and Health Services
- Patricia Lashway
- Lt. Governor's Office
- Lt. Gov. Cyrus Habib
- Department of Natural Resources
- Public Lands Commissioner Hilary Franz
- Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction
- State Superintendent Chris Reykdal
- Office of the Insurance Commissioner
- Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler
The Resilient Washington Subcabinet's recommendations and issues to be addressed are outlined here.
Powerpoint Slides (PDF)
Stacey McClain, Mitigation & Recovery Section Manager, Stacey.McClain@mil.wa.gov
If any accommodations are needed, please contact Stacey McClain at Stacey.McClain@mil.wa.gov or, for those who are deaf or hard of hearing and for persons with speech impairments only, use the TTY Accessibility Number (253) 512-7298. Requests should be made as soon as possible but at least three business days prior to the scheduled meeting.