COVID-19 Plans for drill & how to stay healthy
Soldiers, Airmen, Families,
On Feb. 29, 2020, Gov. Jay Inslee signed a proclamation declaring a State of Emergency in Washington state as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Part of this proclamation mentions the ability to order the Washington National Guard into service in support of this event.
As of now, the Washington National Guard has not been activated, and there have been no requests for our assistance. This could certainly change and our staff is looking at potential areas we could provide help. We will keep you informed of this rapidly evolving situation.
We know there is a lot of information regarding this outbreak – and it can be overwhelming. Not all of the information is factual. Please keep in mind the following:
• We are still having drill this coming weekend. Any issues must be addressed through your chain of command.
• This virus isn't going away anytime soon. It's highly contagious and there is no vaccine for it yet. Please educate yourself and your families on the risks, issues and concerns from reliable sources like the Washington State Dept. of Health (www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus) and the Center for Disease Control. The ability to sort through information and promote facts is critical.
• We are assessing overseas travel and potentially domestic travel as we try to reduce any potential exposure.
• Use this event as an opportunity to ensure you and your family are prepared with supplies at home to last you two weeks. Washington state is home to many natural threats, and it's always a good idea to ensure you are prepared. www.mil.wa.gov/preparedness
• Practice social distancing. Health providers recommend you stay home if you are sick, avoid large gatherings, wash hands more than usual, avoid person to person contact, etc.
Have a great week, my best to you and your families, and we'll see you all this drill weekend.
Brig. Gen. Dan Dent,
Commanding General, Washington Army National Guard
Col. Gent Welsh
Commander, Washington Air National Guard