Director of the Joint Staff
Brig. Gen. Johan A. Deutscher
Brig Gen Johan A. Deutscher is the Director, Joint Staff for the Washington National Guard located on Camp Murray, Washington. As the Director, Joint Staff, he is responsible for leading a 50 member Joint Staff in planning, training, exercise and execution of an all-hazards Washington National Guard response. He has operational oversight of the 10th Homeland Response Force, 10th Civil Support Team, a Counter Drug Task Force, RC-26, the Washington State Guard, and a robust State Partnership Program with Malaysia and Thailand. Designated as the Washington National Guard’s Joint Task Force Dual-Status Commander, he is on-call for Command and Control with civil support, building partnerships with civilian agencies across the state.
General Deutscher graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1996. While in the Regular Air Force, he was a Distinguished Graduate of the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training program at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. He also served in the Air Force Intern Program, where, on September 11, 2001, he reentered the burning Pentagon building to help stand
up the Joint Staff Crisis Action Team. In 2007, he transferred to the Air National Guard where he has served in a variety of leadership positions, to include command at the Flight, Squadron, Group and Wing levels. As a rated line officer, General Deutscher has flown over 2,100 total hours, including more than 24 hours on 13 combat missions during Operation SOUTHERN WATCH. Prior to assuming his current position, General Deutscher was the commander of the 141st Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash, where he was responsible for assuring worldwide readiness to support both a federal and state mission.
1996 Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Master of Arts in Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C. 2002 Air Force Intern Program, Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2015 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 Joint Combined Warfighter School - Hybrid, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va. 2018 Safety and Accident Investigation Board President Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2018 Dual Status Commander Orientation Course, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2019 Director of Mobility Forces Course, Hurlburt Feld, Fla.
- May 1996 – March 1997, Assistant Flight Screening Program Director, 34th Operations Support Squadron, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
- March 1997 – May 1998, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
- May 1998 – March 1999, Student Pilot, United States Air Force Basic Operational F-15C Training Course, 2d Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- March 1999 – March 2000, Squadron Scheduler, 54th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
- March 2000 – November 2000, Assistant Weapons Officer, 12th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
- November 2000 – June 2002, Student, Air Force Intern Program, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- June 2002 – June 2004, Flight Commander, 390th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
- June 2004 – May 2005, Chief, Air-to-Air Tactics, 366th Operations Support Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
- May 2005 – May 2006, F-22A Program Manager, 325th Fighter Wing, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- May 2006 – February 2007, Assistant Director of Operations, 2d Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- March 2007 – December 2007, Student Flight Commander, 114th Fighter Squadron, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
- January 2008 – December 2008, Quality Assurance Officer-in-Charge, 173d Fighter Wing, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
- January 2009 – September 2009, Training Officer/Instructor Pilot/Supervisor of Flying, 114th Fighter Squadron, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
- October 2009 – June 2010, Chief of Scheduling, 114th Fighter Squadron, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
- June 2010 – December 2012, Commander, 173d Communications Flight, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
- December 2012 – October 2013, Commander, 173d Logistics Readiness Squadron, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
- November 2013 – June 2015, Deputy Commander, 252d Cyberspace Operations Group, Wash. ANG, Camp Murray, Wash.
- July 2015 – March 2017, Commander, 194th Mission Support Group, Wash. ANG, Camp Murray, Wash.
- April 2017-April 2019, Commander, 141st Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
- April 2019-Present, Director, Joint Staff, Wash. National Guard, Camp Murray, Wash.
Rating: Command Pilot Flight hours: Over 2,100
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-15C, KC-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1996
First Lieutenant May 29, 1998
Captain May 29, 2000
Major April 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel April 6, 2011
Colonel Feb. 16, 2016
Brigadier General June 18, 2020
(Current as of January 2021)