Reporting Damages to Primary Residences and Businesses

The Process

The affected public must report disaster damage to their local city/county emergency management agency. In turn, local officials document the information on specified forms and sends it to the state Emergency Management Division (EMD) for analysis. This process is called the “Initial Damage Assessment."

The state Emergency Management Division, in consultation with impacted local jurisdictions, may determine that the damages are significant and warrant a request for federal disaster assistance. State Emergency Management officials will ask the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and the local jurisdiction, as appropriate, to validate the reported damage.

Several options for providing disaster assistance are available to a community affected by disaster. Determining which type of assistance the local jurisdiction is eligible for depends on reliable damage assessment information, submitting the appropriate forms and providing that information to EMD within specified time-frames and guidelines.

Damage to a primary residence is reported on HS Form 1-PR. Physical damage to businesses is reported on HS Form 2-BU form. Download the 2012 HS forms HS Initial Disaster Assessment Form 1PR-2BU with instructions (this is a MS Excel form). Please read the directions before completing any portion of the HS Forms 1-PR and 2-BU. (Attention MS Office 2007 users: save the Excel doc as an Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls) NOT as a *.xlsx file.) Use the Economic Injury Worksheet (PDF) to report economic injury losses suffered by the business community.

Please send all forms and inquiries to and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

One thing to keep in mind when recording and reporting damage – no matter which federal agency or voluntary organization provides the assistance, secondary homes and recreational homes are not eligible for disaster assistance of any kind. Detached garages, storage buildings, and other out buildings do not count either. So, when you are submitting damage reports, please know that these will not be counted in determining eligibility for disaster assistance.

Orchards and crops should be reported to the local farm service representative and subsequently to the state Farm Service Agency and the state Department of Agriculture.

Join the Team
Help Safeguard Lives & Property!

The Washington Military Department offers both state and federal job opportunities. Learn more and join our team!

join now »